1 pound ground pork
1/2 pound ground veal
6 slices bacon
1/2 cup chopped onion
1/2 cup chopped celery
1 clove garlic, minced
2 teaspoons dried sage
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
2 tablespoons cornstarch
2 (9 inch) unbaked pie crusts
1 1/4 cups water
1. In a Dutch oven, brown ground veal, pork, and bacon. Drain off fat.
2. Stir in onion, celery, garlic, sage, salt, and pepper. Stir in 1 cup of the water, and bring mixture to boiling. Reduce heat, and cover. Simmer for 10 to 15 minutes, or till onion is tender. Stir frequently.
3. Combine cornstarch and the remaining 1/4 cup water. Add to hot meat and vegetable mixture, cooking and stirring till thickened and bubbly. Cook and stir 1 to 2 minutes more. Remove pan from heat, and cool slightly.
4. Fill pastry shell with meat and vegetable mixture. Roll out top crust on top, seal the edges, and put patterned slits in top crust.
5. Bake in a preheated 400 degrees F (205 degrees C) oven for 40 minutes, or until golden brown. Let stand about 15 minutes before serving.
« Canada Recipes